Thursday, November 19, 2009

Artistic Abilities

Some friends and I have started painting pottery. We don't do it very often, but find it to be a fun girls night, when we can manage to leave the husbands/kids at home.
We started a little over a year ago. I first painted this monkey, for Ethan's nursery, it's a money bank.

It's hard to know exactly what your piece is going to look like, until after they fire it. B/c while you paint, the colors are very dull and you have to paint several coats in order for it to turn out looking decent. Thankfully one of the friends who I was with is an art teacher and is quite knowledgeable in this area, so she really helped me out.

The next time we went I did a lot of research on the web for some fun ideas and was all ready to be artistic, until I got to the place and I lost all sense of creativity. I picked out 4 or 5 pieces only to have no idea what I would do with them and then put them back. I finally picked a pitcher, I loved the shape of it, it's very unique looking. The only thing I could come up with was to paint it yellow and green, blah! They aren't bad colors, I just wish I would have done more to it. Of course, I left that night and thought of 50 different things I could have done, but it was too late.


So, this last time we went I decided I was going to do something simple and not put any pressure on myself to create a masterpiece (ha ha) . I decided on this cute little reindeer ornament and wanted to continue on with my "tradition" of painting something for Ethan.


Hopefully one day, Ethan will appreciate my fun little hobby.

1 comment:

Marcy said...

I really like the shape of the pitcher...maybe you should have gone with maroon and white instead of showing some love for the Baylor kids:) Looks like a fun time!