Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Sad Goodbye


It's been a rough week. We had to say goodbye to Toby our dear sweet dog. He came down with what we think was pancreatitis about a week and a half ago and seemed to get better, but after about 5 days started getting worse. After lots of discussion between us and our vet we all concluded that it was best to put him down so he wouldn't suffer anymore.


I have had Toby for 8 years. I remember looking in the Dallas paper trying to decide what kind of dog I wanted and when I saw American Bulldogs for sale..I knew that was it! I had convinced my parents to let me get a dog (I lived with them at the time) by saying I would get a small outside dog that they wouldn't have to worry over.....well, after looking at all the puppies I turn around and here comes Toby stumbling over his big paws looking so sweet and that was it....he was mine! He grew to over 110 pounds and all bully! He put my parents through so much, he chewed up almost all of the siding off the back of their house, ate my dad's grill along with all of the components to the propane tank, he got them in trouble with the police b/c someone called to complain about him. I know they were relieved when I said I was getting married b/c they knew Toby would have to go with me.


Nathan and I have spent so much money on him, he had horrible allergies which called for lots of allergy injections and lots of medications and other supplements, along with super expensive food. He tore his ACL on his back leg which called for total knee replacement. He ate countless socks and who knows what else.


He was my sidekick before Nathan came along and he was my first baby before Ethan.
I know he was only a dog and that there are bigger things in this world than losing a dog, but he was my dog and I will miss him. And I will probably cry every time I think of him for a while until the memories become good things, not sad things to think about. 

Goodbye Toby....I will miss you!  

1 comment:

candicebishop said...

That's so sad. Dogs really are part of the family and so loved. I know Toby was an extra special dog. I remember his sweet big face when we had Bible study at your house. And he always surprised me with what he was into next... like kleenex in our purses! I'm sorry you had to say goodbye.