Saturday, June 25, 2011

ManeGait

ManeGait is a wonderful therapeutic horse facility. They provide therapy for children and adults with disabilities using horses. This weekend they offered a free time to come and check out their facility along with fun and games for everyone. I knew Ethan would love being able to pet the horses and possibly ride one too. 
I think most everyone we came into contact with was a volunteer and they were all SO kind.

We started off in the horse stalls and let Ethan pet a few horses. He was a little shy at first, but my dad helped him get over that quickly.

 
This particular horse was HUGE! We could not get over how big he was, he was at least a head taller/bigger than the rest of the horses.  


When we pulled up they were walking around a small pony, but I noticed it was kind of bucking as well, so I got a little nervous knowing they were doing pony rides. But since the little pony wasn't cooperating they brought out Freckles a 30 year old mare. She was so sweet. Ethan had already met/pet her while they were getting her ready to go out.

He was the first to do the pony ride and every just doted over him! They had him wear a helmet, the extra small was a little too small....my sweet big headed baby! So we went with the next size up, it was a little big, but Ethan wore it with such style. :)
 I had no idea how he would do, but he was so brave and just let them handle him and do what they needed to do to get him ready to ride. He looked very scared/unsure, but he didn't stop talking about it the whole way home, so I know he loved it!  
At one point while he was riding Freckles let out a very loud "neigh" and loud noises usually really upset Ethan, so I thought he would just lose it, but he didn't. When he got back around to us he said the horse was talking while he was riding.  







After the pony ride we played a few of the games, Ethan threw horse shoes..he's had lots of practice since my parents have those at their house.


And then he chose a pink pony stick to ride around on...There were three to choose from a brown one, a black one and the pink one. The girl kind of held out the brown and black ones but Ethan reached around and grabbed the pink. I thought it was so funny!  My dad showed Ethan how to ride and he did
great!


 What a fun morning we had getting to see/pet horses.

No comments: