Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Interesting....

We had the GI appointment yesterday and apparently it's perfectly normal for a baby to "puke their brains out" until the age of 1. Those words, by the way, were the pedi GI doctor's words. As long as the baby is thriving and gaining weight, there isn't really a worry over all the throwing up and spitting up.

HMMMMMM.
We really did like the doctor and his explanation as to why Ethan is always throwing up/spitting up makes sense, but REALLY? I haven't been around that many babies, but the ones I have been around aren't constantly spitting up. According to the doctor the esophageal sphincter is not fully developed until roughly the age of 1. And with most normal babies, this rarely causes problems, but with some babies the stomach provides enough pressure that forces the food back up and while some babies may have a little spit up, others may vomit entire bottles or have heavy spit ups. Since Ethan is on prevacid he shouldn't have stomach acid, so the fact that he is always spitting up shouldn't be damaging his throat. This should go away sometime around 8 months to a year and if it doesn't then we will go back to the GI doctor.
One of the first things this doctor noticed was the size of Ethan's head. Apparently it's rather large...I haven't noticed, but then again I don't think our dog has a big head either, so my proportion size is a little off.

Case in point....the photo below. Notice Toby's head takes up half of Nathan's body!

Back to my story....He went on to explain that Ethan is a normal size (weight) for a baby, but since his head is so big, it makes him appear skinnier than he really is...............What? Mental note.....invent something that causes my head to grow, so my body will look skinner!


So, I ask you, is the beautiful baby's head really that large?

I didn't think so!!!!!

3 comments:

Marcy said...

I say the larger the head, the bigger the brain, right? I think he looks perfect. Glad you got a good report.

candicebishop said...

I never would've looked at him and thought... hmmm, he has a big head! No, I just look at him and think he's a very adorable little guy. :)

Abby said...

Big Head? I don't think so! I had a friend whose daughter had a big head, and Ethan doesn't look anything like she did!