I ended up having to take Ethan to the doctor because he threw up twice at daycare (last Wednesday). And as I thought, he was throwing up because of all of the congestion and turns out he has an ear infection, also due to the prolonged congestion. They weighed him at the doctor and he was 14 pounds 15ounces, that is up 1.5 pounds in TWO WEEKS! I could not believe it, well actually I could, due to Ethan's waking up a couple of times a night, in turn led to more feedings, which led to a chubby baby. Actually he isn't chubby, I had noticed his legs seemed a little fuller and the daycare teacher commented on his cheeks looking more full. But it's looking like he takes after his daddy with being skinny (thank goodness)! Although I did still put Ethan on a semi diet. I scaled back his bottles from 6 to 5.5 ozs and for his middle of the night bottles we will only do 2-3ozs to hold him over. Don't get me wrong, I will NOT starve my child and if he seems to need more in the bottles, I will increase, but I was just thinking we may have been feeding him too much. And so far he is doing fine with the decrease in food intake.
The doctor also thought this congestion/ear infection were the reasons behind the waking up during the night. Which I thought might be the case too, since he went a couple of nights without waking up, but then he went a couple of nights waking up 2-3 times. Again, I am at a loss of what to do. As many people tell me, just let him cry it out, but I am not sure I can do that and keep my sanity. The past three nights, I put rice cereal in his bottle--I know, you aren't supposed to bottle feed them rice cereal but I was desperate to see if he would sleep longer--but it didn't do jack. He woke up 3 hours later, ready to eat. And shouldn't he be able to go 4 hours between feedings by now? It takes all we have to stretch him to 3 hours and rarely can we make him do that, unless he is asleep.
Why don't kids come with manuals specified to that particular child?
What a CUTIE!!!
1 comment:
oh wouldn't it be nice if they came w/ manuals?! we had to scale jonah's feedings back too, ped's orders, cause he didn't seem to know when he was full and would eat and eat until he puked. poor kid. hope ethan gets to feeling better soon!
Post a Comment