Friday, May 30, 2008

sonograms, doctor visits and the unexpected!

I had my first OB visit at 5 weeks (the doctor thought I was closer to 7 weeks). They don't typically see you until 8-10 weeks, but with some prior medical things I had going on, the doctor wanted to be sure that things were ok and progressing as they should.
At the first visit, they took my blood and did a sonogram. I was already nervous, b/c the only "proof" I had of being pregnant was the home test and those can be wrong. The sonogram was very much not what we expected to see. There was a gestational sac and nothing inside. Well, there was a very faint white swirly looking line, but it would come and go. Since we were going in there with the idea that I was almost 7 weeks we were a little surprised when it was just a sac. But the sac was measuring at 5 weeks, and the nurse told us that was very typical for a 5 week sonogram and that she didn't expect to really see anything.

So, the doctor wanted to see me a week later to confirm development, etc.

During that week (weeks 5-6) I was having to slowly work my way off some medication. It was not safe for pregnancy and was quite the little harsh drug so I went through a sort of detox for a week! It was horrible--bad headaches, bad everything! And as soon as I got past that, the nausea began. I'm talking 24 hours a day, waking me throughout the night, nausea!

At my next doctor visit, unfortunately Nathan couldn't go with me, he had his last class for the semester that evening, so my mom went. This time the sonogram showed practically an entire embryo--we could see and hear the heart beating. It was very interesting at how much had changed in only a little over a weeks time. No wonder that was the week I was really getting nauseous. They also did more blood work and the doctor discussed all the things that I needed to know. I got this huge pregnancy packet to look over, which I still haven't really broken down and looked at everything. But my mom and sister bought me a "your pregnancy week by week" book, so that has helped. The doctor also gave me a rx for anti-nausea pills, which help most of the time.

Here's the 6 week sonogram picture. Can't really tell a whole lot, I am not sure which end is the head, it was a little more clear on the actual screen than in this picture.


My third OB visit was this week (week 10). All that happened was the big weigh in and listening to the heart beat.

As we have progressed to the middle of week 10, things are slowly getting better. I still have days of horrible nausea, but I also have moments of feeling fine! I discovered that sitting on the beach in Mexico was a cure all for nausea. I barely felt sick at all while we were there, but as soon as we landed in Dallas, it all started up again. Maybe I should just move to the beach for a few months!
I have zero appetite for food, which in a way is nice b/c I am not stuffing my face with things I don't need. Right now I want nothing to do with pasta and can't seem to stomach the idea of eating in the early morning, but usually after about 2 hours of being up, I am ready to eat. I have noticed that if I eat to the point where I am full, I feel horribly sick, but if I stop eating after a few bites, I am starving within the hour! I haven't found that balance yet.
And being that I have NO energy, I have pretty much stopped cooking. My sweet husband has been picking up a lot of take out for us. For some reason, what I do cook, I end up not wanting, I guess having to cook it, turns me off to it. I also have no energy to clean the house or do the laundry, which drives me crazy!
I am praying that once I get past this 12 week mark I will not be as sick and have a little more energy.

1 comment:

The Jackson Family said...

congratulations. I found out from Sandy when I was still in the hospital. Just wait....in 9 months you will hold the most unbelievable miracle of your life and this will all be worth it...I promoise - I'm doing it right now.