Toby has been living in the house for about 6 months and at first he would get in the trash and nose through everything else, but he got use to it. We've all been adjusting. The dog trainer had told us that after about a month of training Toby would start to rebel and sure enough, the rebelling began!
Rule #1: trash cans belong on top of things too high for Toby to reach.
Rule #2: all toilet paper has to be hidden inside a cabinet, not on the counter, he jumps up and gets it.
He started with toilet paper. He kept going in the extra bathroom and as long as we kept the toilet seat down and the trash empty it had never been a problem, but on one particular day I realized he had been in there a little too long and was a little too quiet. I go to find him and low and behold he is eating the toilet paper. Not unrolling it, actually biting huge chunks and swallowing them, NOOOOO, he's allergic to cotton. Unfortunately we thought scolding him would do the trick, but about 10 rolls later, we decided it best to go another route.
Rule #3: Guests need to properly zip/snap purses shut and store them in a high location.
I host a women's Bible study at my house each week and most women carry purses. So, Toby decides to go rummaging through everyones purse. (If I were a thief, that little trick could come in handy."oops my dog took your wallet, and he must have eaten all the money") While seeing what women carry in their purse, he proceeds to grab a freshly used kleenex out of one of the purses, guess what mom gets to do.......that's right, I have to pull the kleenex out of his mouth that someone else just blew their nose in. (in the words of Napoleon Dynamite) GROSS! I washed my hands then dipped them in acid.
Rule #4: All paper products mail/books need to be stored in a location the dog cannot reach, and never leave him unattended while paper products are in the room.
We had received a card and after reading it, I placed it on the coffee table. I left the room for a minute and hear a loud ripping sound. I go running in the living room, fearing the worst of what the dog could do, and there's Toby eating the card and envelope. Having a joyous time. I have also taken a liking to reading books, and I have them stored in a box, he went into the box and pulled several out, 2 he completely destroyed and ate over half of the book a few others have small flesh wounds.
Rule #5: All laundry should be kept behind a closed door.
He has sniffed it a few times, and never gave a second thought, but times are tough and mom and dad have removed all of the other fun "toys" to play with, so he's pulling out the big guns. He is mostly fascinated with our socks. We usually get to him in time to pull it out of his mouth. This past weekend Nathan was skiing and I was home alone, and Toby knows he can get away with a lot more when Nate is not around. I had a friend over, we were busy talking, and what a fine opportunity for Toby to sneak off to the have a peek at the laundry basket. He eventually made his way into the living room chewing on something, but what...I couldn't see. I go over to him and have to reach down his throat to pull out a sock. No harm, no foul...or so I thought. The next morning I begin to notice Toby drooling, to the point of, he must have a water faucet in his mouth because there are huge puddles all over the place. I quickly get him outside and keep a close eye on him. I know that when dogs have things stuck in their throat they begin to drool so that the thing will either go down or come back up. Side story....a few weeks ago he ate one of his stuffed toys and a week later he threw it up at 4 in the morning in our bedroom. NICE! Nathan was very sweet and cleaned it up. side story done....So I figured this thing stuck in his throat would be the same. He was running around barking and playing, he could eat and drink without any problems, so I figured he must be fine. And after about 24 hours he stopped drooling. I don't know for certain that he ate my sock, but I am missing one. And when checking through the "deposits" made in the back yard I can't tell that a sock has been "dropped off". I am just waiting on the early morning throw up to occur.
He occasionally takes his aggression out on the house plants, running by and ripping off a leaf or two, enjoying the pleasure of eating fresh vegetables. He also enjoys the sound of cloth ripping. He's grabbed towels and dish cloths and torn a few holes. Do you think destructiveness is in his nature?
If you have been blessed with the opportunity to live with an animal such as Toby, consider yourself the luckiest person in the world. He makes life interesting and no matter how much trouble he is, it's worth it. He is just so happy to see us when we come home and even though he can run people out of the room with his "smells" he's still fun to be around.
호빠왕한테서 호스트바 구인구직을 해보세요
8 years ago
1 comment:
I honestly can't wait to meet this dog. Millie and Charlie sound like an angel compared to Toby. :)
Post a Comment