Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Where to now?

Since I started my job as a lab researcher, I have known that my time was limited. I am paid from grant money and grants only last so long. I was originally hired on a 3 year grant and over time, that turned into 6 years. I recently found out that once the particular grant I am working on runs out, I am out of a job.
On the one hand, I have been given about 6 months notice of this and have technically known all along, my job wasn't 100% secure, so I was not really surprised to have been told this news. And I am very blessed to have been told so early on, most people show up at their job only to be told to go back home.
So, here I sit trying to figure out where do I go from here? I like doing research, but it's not really my passion. This wasn't a job I took in hopes of staying many years, I really thought I would be done in 3 years and on my way to somethiing else. I had always thought I wanted to do criminal investigative lab work, but that desire has fizzled.
I've also known that in order for me to really get anywhere in the science industry, I have to go back to school and get my PhD (masters doesn't really mean much here). As much as I would love to be called Dr. Vanessa, that ain't happening.
I have tossed around several thoughts of going back to school for specialized type work, but that then creates school loans piling up and lots of homework and missed time with my family. The idea of creating debt for my family is NOT something I care to embark on. But then in order to possibly meet my new "career goals" I may have to go back to school and if I make the salary I expect to make when I get out, we should be able to get those loans paid fairly easily.

The fact is, staying at home is not an option for us right now. And I am ok with that. I have mentioned before, being a stay at home mom is not really where I feel I need to be.

I have prayed about this for some time and have NO answer. Maybe I'm not praying hard enough or maybe I am missing what I should be seeing or maybe I am just so scared of the what ifs, I am not listening correctly. I am very much a person who has to be in control of things, especially when it comes to money, but maybe that is what I am supposed to be letting go of. I can't seem to see past the "am I supposed to let my family go into debt b/c I should go back to school?" problem.

Until then, if you happen to know anyone that needs a scientist, let me know! :)

No comments: