But it seems as though our little guy is maturing.
On Wednesday I took him to an allergist and he was SO GOOD! I was a little nervous b/c 10 minutes into the appointment he was supposed to eat and I just knew we would have a major melt down. But no, he never cried or fussed or anything. I am not sure that the nurse was use to dealing with such a small/young patient. She pulled out the blood pressure cuff and then realized that probably wasn't going to work and then she wanted to get his pulse reading with one of those things that goes over the finger. Yeah, good luck with that. But we managed to get Ethan's little pointer finger stuck in there long enough to register something, whether it was accurate, I'm not sure. They did the 8 prong back stick test and Ethan didn't even flinch. I was definitely concerned, b/c they said I had to hold him (without touching the testing area on his back) and keep him as still as possible for 15 minutes. And you know what, he laid on my shoulder barely moving the entire time!!! Thankfully he has no food allergies, well a very slight reaction to egg and milk, but barely and more than likely he will grow out of that.
The reason I had taken him to the allergist is because he is constantly spitting up and according to our pediatrician he thought it was from all of the congestion...well what is causing the congestion???? He has been having a lot of allergy type symptoms, runny nose, watery eyes, itchy face/head, extreme congestion. Poor little thing has huge cuts on his face and head b/c he is constantly scratching. Every time he eats he sounds even more congested and does a big cough after eating, you can also feel the fluid in his back and chest. So, I made the decision to take him to the allergist. It seems as though he has seasonal allergies, which we can't treat him right now since he is so young, but the allergist was a bit confused as to why the extreme congestion while eating. He listened to Ethan's chest/neck/back while I feed him to see if he could figure out what the deal was. The best conclusion he came up with is that it appears as though either food is getting into his lungs when he eats or once his reflux kicks in (after eating) and he spits up/vomits it's possibly going into his lungs then. He then sent over to the pediatrician his thoughts on the whole thing and the pediatrician called me and we decided it was best to go to a GI specialist. We go on Monday, so I will have to update later with those results.
Ethan officially has 2 teeth now. The second tooth came in the next week (after the first one). It is so cute to see him smile and see those little teeth sticking out.
Here's Toby watching Ethan eat. Ethan has really started reaching out for Toby and trying to pet him, but Toby could care less about him. Except here, I think he was hoping for a free hand out.
Ethan occasionally sucks on his thumb, but it's only for a few seconds at a time. Hopefully we won't have to deal with it as a habit.
Tomorrow we take Ethan on his first flight! We are headed up to Kansas City for Nathan's cousin's wedding. We decided it would be best to fly instead of drive the 10+ hours up there. I wasn't sure any of us would survive the trip, since Ethan isn't a fan of the car seat. I will post all about that next week too. Big prayer for us (and others on the plane) that Ethan will be calm and not scream the entire time.
No comments:
Post a Comment